ENGL 399 – Independent Study
How to Register for ENGL 399
Read this page in its entirety prior to applying for ENGL 399.
How to Apply:
- Discuss your intention to complete an independent study with your academic advisor to make sure it is optimal for your degree plan and that you meet the minimum requirements.
- Discuss your intention to complete an independent study with your intended faculty mentor. You should meet with them to discuss the scope of your project, expectations, duties, assigned readings and final product prior to applying. (Visit the Undergraduate Research Page for advice on how to begin the conversation with faculty.)
- Complete the application below once you have your faculty mentor's approval on the project details for the independent study.
- Wait for the department to review and approve your application.
- Once notified by the department, register in ENGL 399 for the appropriate credit hours via my.uic.edu
- ENGL 399 is open to English and non-English majors
- Senior standing OR approval of the instructor is required. In all cases, the instructor must approve the independent study prior to submitting the application.
- The faculty advisor for ENGL 399 should be an instructor with whom the student has taken a 300-level or 400-level course. Exceptions will be considered by the Director of Undergraduate Studies upon review of the submitted application.
- An independent study may be assigned 1-3 credit hours. A maximum of 8 credit hours of independent work (including independent study and internships) in any one department (such as English) is allowed to count towards the degree with a maximum of 16 credit hours overall of independent work allowed in the degree. Please discuss any questions about degree eligibility with your academic advisor.
- Students may repeat ENGL 399 up to a maximum of 3 credit hours total.